Sunday, December 5, 2010

Playing Catch-Up: Felt Playfood Set


This summer, I made a huge collection of felt foods for my best friends daughter. The project sort of got out of hand because making felt food is more addictive than you would realize. It was interesting and challenging to figure out how each 3D shape could be made from cut shapes of felt. There are lots of tutorials for felt foods out there, so here are just a few pictures to get your imagination going. A small group of felt food pieces would make a great economical present for a young child who likes playing little chef. More pictures on my Flickr.



One of the things I did with this project was try to make it as interactive as possible. Some of the vegetables were made in two or three parts, to show the insides, with velcro buttons so they could be "cut" apart and put back together. Whenever I could, little extras like butter, syrup, cheese, veggie slices or buns were not sewn together so that they could be stacked freely, and mixed and matched in imaginative ways. I actually made a lot of fruits and a few sweet treats as well, but never had the time to photograph them before they went to their new home.

11 comments:

  1. These are so beautiful and detailed! Any child would be lucky to have playfood like this! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are awesome! I think my favourite might be the cabbage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. eeee these are brilliant and beautifully made!! My inner child is begging for this set for Christmas hehe - I REALLY loved playing 'chef' when I was little..but I only had a few Lego blocks and my imagination to do so hehe - the red Legos would be tomatoes..green ones, lettuce (or money, if I was selling to my lil brother in my 'restaurant' lol)

    I love that you've made them "cuttable" and interactive! Thanks for sharing - once I learn how to sew, this is def gonna be one of my first projects!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks 'Brain", a lot of these felt foods can actually be made with handsewing which is very easy to learn, you should give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is one lucky child, receiving such a bounty of handmade goodness. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these felt foods :)

    TAC... Would you be interested in swapping links? I added you to my Blog sidebar http://www.lindsaysews.com. Let me know! lindsay.conner(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just came across your blog and am so glad I did! I only wish I had discovered it before Christmas . . . your work is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Just wow! You're so talented, these are incredibly AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am coming back to your blog for more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a very impressive subject. Thank you for always.

    ReplyDelete