Wednesday, December 29, 2010

So Cute! Tiny Needle Felted Fawn


Just a quick post to show you this little needle felted fawn. I think she is the cutest thing I have made all year! I was inspired by this little deer made by LuckyNielsen.

I figured out how to make my little deer by breaking down the body into a series of simple shapes. You know those "How to Draw" books we all had as kids that start with simple ovals and cylinders, and with a few extra lines to smooth between them, you have suddenly drawn a dog or a horse or something? I used the same idea, but imagined the shapes in 3D. When you connect the shapes together, using your needle, you smooth the transitions, and with a little extra poking, refine the shapes to look more like the animal you want to achieve. I think you could make anything you can imagine using this principle.

I used pipe cleaners inside the legs for added stability, but I didn't make a wire armature for the whole body, as I have seen other people do. I did it this way because I wanted to felt each leg individually (which is easier) and then attach them one at a time to the body.

This little fawn is only 3" tall. For the base, I made a grassy knoll out of felt that fits inside a large glass tea light holder from Ikea. Then I added a little Japanese cotton lace and some vintage flowers to up the cuteness factor to 100. I considered adding a little bow around her neck, but I thought that might make me pass out from a cute-overload so I held back.

PS: When you start making a super cute little fawn like this, you are just stabbing at blobs of brown felt. But when you add the eyes and the ears and it really starts taking shape, it is like you are repeatedly stabbing Bambi. Which can be a little disturbing. Forewarned is Forearmed.

8 comments:

  1. Aw, that is the cutest little fawn ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little deer is adorable !! Dontcha just love needle felting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I do Kim! I love working with felt, but this is actually only my second project working with needle felting. I think it is going to prove just as addictive as making little felty foods

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your deer...and needle felting is definitely addictive! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read few blog posts on this website Keep up the good work. Cheerssss

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel too good to read this awesome blog. Keep on sharing like this one

    ReplyDelete
  7. This great article has truly peaked my interest. thank you for this

    ReplyDelete