Monday, January 17, 2011

Green Felt Bird

 
I really love birds. I think this came from my Mom, who took me on a lot of nature walks as a kid, made beautiful feeders and birdhouses for our yard and always took the time to point out the different species we saw and how she identified each one. She is also a very talented artist and carver, and filled our home with gorgeous, and sometimes quirky, wooden birds.

Lately, I have found a lot of other crafty and artistic people who find inspiration in the beautiful shapes and colours of birds. One such person is Geninne, from Geninne's Art Blog, who paints the most stunning and vivid watercolours. Her work is very modern, filled with colour, and every time I visit her blog I feel inspired to get out my paints and practice. If you haven't already stumbled on her, I highly recommend taking a look.

Another blogger whose love of birds inspires me is Abigail Patner Glassenberg, from While She Naps. Abigail is the author of The Artful Bird, a book filled with projects for sewing amazing birds from all sorts of different materials. My little green bird was created using a pattern from this book for a wren. It is made of hand-sewn wool felt, with needle felted and embroidered details, and legs made from craft wire. I really love how it stands on its own two feet! The colours I chose, the bright chartreuse and emerald green, were inspired by the fearless use of colour in Geninne's paintings.
This little bird is for you Mom!

15 comments:

  1. That's beautiful and so detailed! :)

    ~Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!
    And I love your blog. I'm adding it to my links in my newborn blog (tell me if you are ok about this or not).
    Bye!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the top-stitching on this sweet little birdie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky, lucky mom!
    Such a wonderful birdie Gabrielle :) Thank you so much for your kind and generous words about my work. I'm honored!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah! Your bird is such a wonderfully bright and cheerful fellow! I hope you'll consider posting him to The Artful Bird Flickr group, too. I think he would be such an inspiration to others! http://www.flickr.com/groups/theartfulbird/

    ReplyDelete
  7. As usual, great post. You keep amazing me with your content design and layout.And thanks for sharing this awesome piece. Don't have enough money to purchase auto clicker software then try this best free auto clicker

    ReplyDelete
  8. Written very well. I like you. I'll support you for your writing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Greetings! Very helpful advice within this unique post! Thankyou

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are really grateful for this blog post. Absolutely a Great work

    ReplyDelete
  11. Most significant information for me. Thanks for a good points

    ReplyDelete